Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (SOM).
Ra’idah Investment Company – RIC.
SAR 954 million / USD$250 million
- The KAFD Conference Centre is a state-of-the-art building designed to the highest technical standards to provide a conference facility for the King Abdullah financial District as well as the rest of Riyadh. It is structurally innovative having being designed as an extension to the desert landscape. The revolutionary modular roofing system features areas of Arabian horticulture as well as internal green walls.
The project also included:
- A six hundred seat auditorium with full audio-video capability and a “digital forum” approach which allows all venues to be internally and externally networked.
- Totally flexible conferencing facilities.
- A monorail station.
- Underground parking for 1,300 cars.
- Full supporting infrastructure including prayer rooms, catering facilities, kitchens
- Landscaping and irrigation facilities for internal and external areas as well as a system of planters forming part of the roofing system and internal green walls.
Saudico Responsibilities under the Project included:
- Development of Employer’s design and preparation of all shop drawings for architectural, civil, mechanical and electrical disciplines.
- Management of the steel frame and roofing contracts.
- Design of water treatment and wastewater treatment facilities and management.
- Internal and external landscaping and irrigation.
- Provision of all mechanical, electrical and HVAC services.
- Elevators and escalators.
- Extremely high level of finishes required for National showpiece.